Monday, November 11, 2013

A Beatle! *squash*

OH NO I KILLED RINGO.

hahahaha.

Boy I am just so funny.

Ah hem. Right then. Now for the main topic of conversation today on blog post #3 OF THE WEEK. Oh boy I'm just killing it. I went from never posting to posting too much, so much that you're probably behind on my most recent blog posts, huh? Well I'll catch you up.

1. Bringing it back
2. Lonely forever
3. The Beatles

Now.

I've always been a Beatles fan. Always. But my friend sort of reintroduced them to me recently. I'd forgotten they were there and now I can't stop listening to their music. I CAN'T STOP HELP HELP HELP (I need somebody...not just anybody...you know I need somebody)

hahaha. no don't. Man I am on a ROLL.

It all began...

When I was in fourth grade my eyes were opened into the brilliant world of The Beatles. Unfortunately, I think back then I was too young to fully understand how powerful music is, because now I would argue that it is straight up one of the most powerful entities in this world. Right up there with the College Board tests, and One Direction.

I loved them. I was obsessed with them. I craved their music. My best friend at the time, Zel, had their records (yes records, not cds. That's how I was introduced to The Beatles. Amazing right?) and she taught me how to truly appreciate their music. She even showed me their movies, Help, Hard Days Night and Yellow Submarine. For all those who are going THEY MADE MOVIES *ppeeewwwssh* < - - the sound of brain exploding guts, the answer is yes, and they are hilarious.

I was equally in awe and terrified by the song Eleanor Rigby, I think we all know why.

ANYWAYS. Zel and I went to three different Beatles Tribute band concerts. Rain, 1964, and then we stood outside the Sandy amphitheater as another one played behind the gates. They played and we blindly danced and screamed, unaware as to if the cover band even LOOKED like the Beatles. Because if they didn't have a left handed bass player, well then pshh, whatever. They are posers. Wannabes. Leave now forever you stupid stupidheads. 

You get it.

I will have you know the most recent of these concerts was two years ago. Beatles makes friendship a lifelong bond. Do you hear me? DO YOU EFFING HEAR ME?!

She had this poster of The Beatles and one day we took it to school to make a copy of it for me. Because we were both children of faculty members we got all the behind the scene copier action.

Ohhh it was a rough and dangerous world behind the front desk of our school. Unsupervised staplers, permanent markers, and if we were lucky, we'd find the stamps (you know the ones that you could change the dates and stuff?). Ya. Needless to say, we got pretty rebellious. Sometimes we'd even go into the faculty lunch room and steal soda from the soda machines that were ONLY FOR TEACHERS...but nobody says no when you say you are getting the drink for your faculty parent.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

So she had this poster...and I'll try to speed this post up, because honestly who even cares?...and we copied it into four pieces. John, Paul, George, and Ringo were each 12x17 inches worth of paper. I went home, after shoving those papers in my backpack, and taped the pictures onto my door.

It's been over a decade and those four pieces of paper are still taped there on my door. They've been ripped by snags of backpacks, or laundry baskets, or teeth, or my witch's talons. Well okay, the point is that that poster on my door has been around longer than some friendships. It's been around since I began to understand the power that music has.

It's been around since before I had summer dating person.
It's been around since before I could sleep without the lights on.
It's been around since before I chipped my teeth, or asked random people for condoms, or played in my first soccer game, or went through eighth grade (WHICH WAS THE WORST OF TIMES).

And I think it'll be there until after I introduce my kids to The Beatles.


SENTIMENTALITY.
Aint it just great?

*UPDATE
I tried to find a picture of what my poster looks like and it was literally NOT THERE. I think I have the last known copy of it. I could make millions off of my decade old, black and white copy paper, copy!
Well except for this. I found this. This is my poster, just without the weird puzzle piece looking things.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jenay, how I do miss your blog posts. I miss you writing about me even more though... I think I deserve a shout-out. You know who this is.
    Sincerely,
    Germ

    ReplyDelete
  2. How has it been there for over a decade? When did we get so old?

    ReplyDelete