Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Arts Festival *hsssss*

Today I volunteered at the Utah Arts Festival. Brenda and I decided to be good people and give a little back. Ya know? Share the love. Spread good feelings. Make people happy. Offer freedom of speech. Don't judge. Slap people's butts....woah. Sorry.

So we get there at about 6:45 pm. Our shift starts at 7:00. Everything is going well. They give us a free shirt, some snacks, we watch a little dancing. Then, all of a sudden, we are taken to the 7th layer of HELL.

We show up at the soda truck we are working in. We're in good spirits, ready to volunteer the shiz outta that place when the girls we are subbing in for hand us the soda cups, and sprint out as fast as you can leaving in their wake merely the words "have fun" in the most sarcastic tone you almost wanted to tell their mothers.

Brenda and I stayed strong. We began filling cups. Little did we know, filling a standard size cup full of soda would be a process I will never forget.

It pretty much went like this:
Dr. Pepper: Overrall pretty good to fill up. The fizz goes down at a semi-fast pace, only taking about 2 or 3 minutes to fill an entire cup. Not bad.

Sprite: The best by far. No more than a minute was used to fill up cups of Sprite. Although, what they don't tell you is that if you want to fill up a cup of Sprite, you will be drenched in Sprite the rest of the day. It exploded every chance it got. Soda flew everywhere. I had to warn the customers and say things like, "This is the splash zone, beware" or, "This is going to explode in 5. 4. 3. *explodes*". It's still in my hair.

Coke: Towards the end it moved pretty fast. I could fill up two at the same time by filling one up, letting it sit so the fizz went down while I filled up another. Then by the time I filled up that one, the fizz on the first would be down...and so on and so forth. A process that I mastered by the end.

Diet Coke: HOLY MOTHER OF HELL THIS DRINK TOOK 10 MINUTES TO FILL UP AND ALL THE COSTUMERS HATED US. As soon as I asked them how I could help them and they would say "could I have a diet coke please?" Fear would fill my eyes. Fear would fill my soul. I became fear.

At one point, we named ourselves the "interactive soda stand", because we would ask the costumers to put their finger in the soda to make the fizz go down faster. Some would be creeped out and look at us weird, others played along and giggled all the while.

The scariest though is when I would forget which drink was in which hand. Wait wait. Was the Diet Coke in my left and or my right. Or was that a coke? Shoot! Did I mix them. Oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh. "Here's your diet coke ma'am." *she takes a sip*
"This doesn't taste like diet"
Damnit.

All in all, I actually enjoyed my time. It was terrible and I'm covered in flat soda that we had to start giving refunds for, but whatta day. I helped the community. I'm a good person. Wow.

I'll probably volunteer next year. Come visit me! Or don't...whatever. I mean. It's not like I care that much.


Oh and p.s. I REALLY need this shirt. Like. Super crazy bad. Oh what's that? My birthday is in a month? Hmm. So kind of you to consider buying this for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment